Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First day on the job and also first time realizing I'm using way too many firsts in my titles!

I've been here for 2 days but it feels like I've been here a week. I love it so much here! Last night in "casas" (ages 2 to 10) I got to meet Maria, Mercy, Linda, Carlitos, Christian, Dilan, and Wilson, basically the cutesy children ever to have lived. Mercy during dinner (I don't eat with the orphans but I help them eat) gave me her food and told me "Corta! Corta!" but I pushed it back explaining that I would eat later. 3 seconds later I remembered that corta meant "cut" and she was asking me to cut her meat... I also spent a good 25min singing to Maria today. These orphans are so happy and it's so hard telling them no to anything! I don't know how the nuns can be strict when the kids are so adorable. Yesterday I also worked in "Casa Esperanza" where all of the children are severely handicapped. Esperanza is such a perfect name for that place because all the children are so happy and hopeful. Lucy is a girl in a wheelchair who doesn't talk at all but she loves being pushed around the courtyard. You can tell because when you do her mouth turns into an enormous smile. If you work hard enough you can get her to laugh which is one of the most precious things ever. I'm having an awesome time and can't wait to start work in the morning! By the way I was thinking if you want to know anything specific about here just leave a comment and I'll answer it in my next post. Also I am gonna start an album on imgur but it's going to be private because of Ecuadorian law. If you want a URL or password just comment and I'll message you privately. Love and miss you all!

8 comments:

  1. Jeremie, I'm proud of what you're doing. Reading your posts is wonderful. Please keep it up.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estamos muy orgullos de ti, y animados para leer tus comentarios. ¡También nos gustaría tener el URL y la contraseña para ver tus fotos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Si quieres ver las fotos puedes enviarme unemail y puedo te darlas!

      Delete
    2. Hoy tu mami me los mandó — ¡me encantan las fotos en el patio de recreo en especial! Buen trabajo, Jérémie.

      A ti y a tus hermanos les mandamos besos y abrazos de parte de tus primitos y tus tíos en la Florida :->

      Delete
    3. Gracias! Y voy a los dar! Les querien!

      Delete
  3. Jérémie, what a great idea to write this blog about your adventures! This is so great. I can't wait to hear more about the wonderful work you are doing down there. I would love to see your photo album too.

    Say hello to your mom and brothers for me.

    Love,
    ~Aunt Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Being down here is so amazing. If you want to see pics of the kids I have a private imgur.com account and if you send me or my mom an email we could give you the username and password.

    ReplyDelete