Friday, October 5, 2012

Gas Fire

So today was kind of crazy, there was a fire in the laundry room. I had helped one of the workers, Gladys, bring a gas can to the room (because everything here runs on gas) when she came running back out and asked me to come back in. So I strolled into the room as the smoke started filling it, fun stuff. The best part was that the fire was being fed by the gas can and was in-between a wooden closet and the dryer. After asking about a fire extinguisher and starting to fill buckets of water I decided to go tell the nuns that their laundry room was on fire. Then after dousing it in water and that not doing anything we went out to evacuate the kids and get the bus driver to tell him why we were late. We called the fire fighters and they did us the favor of finding the fire extinguisher in the smoky room and putting it out. I couldn't have imagined a better ending to this story. Oh wait, they could have landed in Charlotte.

In all honesty it was a miracle that happened today, there were so many things as a matter of chance that happened right and the fire was handled well. First I happened to be by the laundry room when I was supposed to be in the lunch room, so I could go help as soon as it happened. Also the fire happened in a room made of concrete completely and it was hard for it to spread. The kids were all in the comedor, close to the exit so we could evacuate easily, and the gas in the buildings never exploded or else the orphanage and the other one next to it would have been destroyed. It's a reminder to me that God is looking out for these kids, because they have more purpose in this life. There are tons if more volunteers that will come and learn from them and there smiles. But most of all it reminds me that, while their mortal parents aren't able to take care of them right now, they have an immortal Dad that is making sure that they accomplish what they were sent here to do, including being a blessing to my life and many others.

1 comment: